Students and staff safe after college fire

27 May 2010 | GENERAL INTEREST

Early this morning there was a fire in a Hato Paora College dormitory. No staff or students were harmed. 

The fire began at about 4.50am. Students evacuated, going to the college’s gymnasium until 7am.

It appears the fire was caused by a water cylinder exploding. While the damage is extensive, it is contained to one dormitory.

Acting Principal Debi Marshall-Lobb is pleased with how the students responded to the fire and grateful to the staff for their assistance.

“I will be eternally grateful that all students and staff are safe. Buildings can be replaced but people can’t,” she says.